Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Reading through the Gospel of John

So today, as I was reading through the chapters of John that were next, I came across some verses I don\t think were there before. In Chapter 7 verses 45 -53. It starts off with this bit about the temple soldiers coming back empty handed and being questioned.  The priests and Pharisees aren't happy... then Nicodemus speaks up and asks a good legal question, " Is it right to judge a man before he is heard?" Which is amazing that he speaks up after a curse is called down on the ignorant masses who believe in Jesus. But he does. The Pharisees immediately say, " You goof, look at the Scriptures. There are no prophecies about the messiah coming from Galilee."

What I found fasinating about this short story is that one: Nicodemus' encounter with Jesus has given Nicodemus courage to stand up and out a bit. He seemingly asks an innocent question and one that actually needed to be asked.  Good for him and that serves as a reminder to me to be bold because I know the truth and yet be wise.

The second thing that I found amazing is that the Pharisees proof what idiots they are. They have searched the scriptures looking for connections between the messisah and Jesus and conclude that Jesus is not the messiah because he is from Galilee and as everyone knows there are NO prophecies linking the Messiah with Galilee!  They didn't really do their homework, did they?  So it is quite a good reminded for me there too. Check it all out and  continue to seek out the whole truth of God's Word.

1 comment:

  1. Gretchen, I'm so glad you're back online! I've missed your blogging.

    ReplyDelete