Sunday, February 3, 2013

Nepali Wedding

Last weekend, I attended a Nepali wedding. Okay, it was not the actual wedding, it was the bride's 'pre-ception'. This bridal shower/party was the kick off to week-long festivities. I heard that 900 invitations went out and by the time I left, I think there were close to that in attendance.  The wedding 'ceremony", if that is what it can be called, was  to be on Wednesday and then the groom was to have his party this weekend, with just as many guests, if not more. It is quite mind blogging to think about preparing for all those guests..

So anyways, last weekend's  bridal party...We arrived at the wedding hall, I think we were one of the first to arrive. After saying hello to the bride's family, we climbed up a high podium, inside a large hall, to pay our respects to the bride and her party. The groom was no where to be seen and I get the idea it was taboo for him to show up at HER party. As the group's bearer of our group's money envelope,  I received a handful of raw betelnut.   After admiring the bride's hennaed hands, we  proceeded down the stairs to a large waiting room. Waiters came by with all manner of food (the chicken was the best) and drinks (they actually had Pepsi!). They kept coming by, again and again and again. But I had been forewarned not to eat much  of these appetizers, as there was a banquet meal too. So I only limited myself to a bowl of vegetable soup, some grilled chicken, and as much Pepsi as I could get.   After about an hour and a half of refusing more offers of fish, mutton and buff, we headed into the dining hall and proceeded through the buffet line.   In Nepali culture, you eat the big meal just before you are ready to leave the party. The appetizer time is for socializing and hobnobbing with friends and family. So not many of the national staff came in and eat with us. They were  planning  on staying longer than the bedeshi invitees.
The Nepali food was good and there was plenty of it.
Then the music started on the dance floor and we were all herded out to the dance floor to dance a bit with the bride. It was all in good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment