Sunday, April 21, 2013

My Weekend Adventure

I have realized with school and daily living that I have been living within a very small triangle. Store, School, and Home make up the three corners of the space that I travel in. So Saturday after Nepali church, I decided to bust out of my triangle and go on an adventure.
I walked home through a neighborhood that I had not been in before. It was a bit out of the way and involved some hills, but it was all good and I saw an area of town I had not seen before.
Before going home, I stopped at the store to get some groceries and as I was headed home, some Nepali friends stopped in their car and invited me over to their house. I told them I would cook lunch for them.  So off we went.
I cooked lunch and we had a good meal. They were gracious in their comments, although I did see the pickle jelly come out at one point.  After lunch we sat around talking and listening to the rain. When the rain let up, I decided to have another adventure and see if I could get home. They offered to drive me, but I said I really wanted to try the public transport. All I had in my pocket was 60 rupyees, but I thought it was enough and if not, I would walk the rest of the way.
So I walked out to the road and hauled a Micro Bus. It was crowded. The micro seats about 12 normally. I was number 17.  The  20 rupyee ride to the Ring Road junction was fairly quick, so I survived leg one.
Then I caught a local bus at the RIng Road and it was also 20 rupyee. There is quite a bit of space on these large buses and I had a seat to myself and one for my groceries. I got off at my stop and crossed the road to hop into a tuktuk for the final jounrey to my hood. Now usually the tuktuk seats about 7 comfortably, but who ever gets comfort? I did! I was the only one on it. So for 15 rupyees I got to the nearest intersectionto my house and alighted there.. to walked the rest of the way home with 5 rupyees in my pocket and a smile of accomplishment on my face!
I love adventuring!

No comments:

Post a Comment