Let’s just get one thing straight… paint is not my favorite
medium for art. Today I was asked if I was trying to become a Smurf. I replied that I was actually just going through
my blue stage (Which I thought was rather witty, but apparently the person I
was so speaking to was not familiar with Picasso).
Ahhh! The life of an artist or more accurately…the
life of an art teacher. How does one
stay clean? I will be quite glad when
painting season is over!
| my blue hands |
Yesterday, when I went to teach a class the Victorian
interior design unit, I was not able to print out my photos, so I took my I Pod
to class hoping to use it to show examples. However, when I got to the room
there was no internet, so I had to try and explain it all on the whiteboard.
Trying to explain words like
‘ornamental’ and ‘ornate’ with a red and blue marker was something I
never saw myself pulling off, but the students got it and have some very
creative plans. That whole lesson was a challenge and to top it off, I was
being observed!
Then today, the class was working on coastlines in
impressionist style. I had begun a
painting a while ago and at the end of class today, I decided to use the leftover
paint to finish my painting and all the students asked, “Is that yours?” I love
questions like that… so many possible answers, but I just replied, “Yes.” One
student said, “You are a good artist.” I almost fell over… if only they knew my
dread of painting. I was able to say, “Well, when you have been around as long
as I have, you pick up a couple tricks. Don’t worry, you are just starting out on your art journey.”
She seemed encouraged by that.
It is funny how God uses us, especially in our weak areas,
to encourage others.
Most of the classes
are wrapping up all this painting stuff this week, so moving into interior
design, wind chimes, and Australian animal art. Should be a great couple of
weeks…paint free!
No comments:
Post a Comment