Having been on school break for two and half weeks has been great! I needed the rest and it was great to spend time with my parents. But the last couple days have been surreal in a way. Nepal is celebrating one of their major Hindu festivities - Daishan. It is a ten day festival and the past couple days the streets have been deserted and many shops closed. There were a few mom-n-pop places open yesterday, so I did some necessity shopping but it felt like a ghost town. I think this is how a Jewish person must feel at Christmas. Not part of the celebration but still trying to function.
Today, we are back to school, but a lot of students are still gone. So the ranks were a bit sparse in line up this morning. Kids seem to be glad to be back, but the teachers are saying, " It just wasn't long enough." The question everyone is asking is, "Where did you go?" and I love answering, "Nowhere. Why would I go away when the rest of the town disappears?" There are about 7 more days of this holiday and then we move into another one in November. The school is open for the whole time, except the high festival day on Nov. 5, but there is a lot going on around town and if it keeps the lights on longer each day and the traffic low, hurrah for the holidays!
Today, we are back to school, but a lot of students are still gone. So the ranks were a bit sparse in line up this morning. Kids seem to be glad to be back, but the teachers are saying, " It just wasn't long enough." The question everyone is asking is, "Where did you go?" and I love answering, "Nowhere. Why would I go away when the rest of the town disappears?" There are about 7 more days of this holiday and then we move into another one in November. The school is open for the whole time, except the high festival day on Nov. 5, but there is a lot going on around town and if it keeps the lights on longer each day and the traffic low, hurrah for the holidays!
No comments:
Post a Comment