Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Listening to Classic Music More

In library class the other day, the students were all giving reports about three topics: their favorite sport, music, and animal. We got to the end of the reports and one of the students said, " What about you?" I told them that my favorite animal was -wait for the drum roll - an AARDVARK! To which one of them said, " Aardvarks are so ugly." To which I replied, " And that is exactly why I love them so much!"
The next thing was the favorite sport. I mentioned that I had two favorites..one was a group sport - volleyball, and the other was an individual sport - racquetball. I had to explain the racquetball a bit, but when I used the term 'squash' a couple students went "AHA!". When I mentioned volleyball, one of the boys said, "That is such a girls' sport!" Another student jumped in, " There was no girl and no boy sports!" I thought that was quite progressive for him.

The final topic was music. I had to think about it, but finally said, " I like classical music." They asked why and I replied, "When you listen to classical music, your synaptic nerves grow and this in turns causes more connections within your brain and therefore makes you faster at connecting the dots." One the students looked at me and said, ' I guess I need to listen to more classical music."  And another replied, " I think we all need to." I just grinned.

Later we were working on class notes and one of the student's said, " If I had listened to more classical music before, I would know this!"
I had to walk away from her to keep from laughing!

Of course next week, I will have to let them know that any type of brain activity or stimulus can have the same affect. But in the meantime, maybe moms and dads across the city will thank me for bringing a bit of culture into their lives and a little less hip hop!

No comments:

Post a Comment