Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Above the School Kitchen
My office at school sits over the school kitchen.
Each day my nose is assaulted with the aromatic smells of garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, black pepper, chilies, onions, and cilantro. It smells heavenly and i just wish that they would make a hot drink of it all, for these cold, winter days. Today I wandered down to the kitchen to see what was actually on the menu and it is tomato soup with pasta. I thought, 'Never knew that tomato soup smelled this way? Wished that I had signed up for lunch now." It is really quite difficult to concentrate some days because I am salivating so much. I was thinking how could I make a scratch and sniff of this wonderful aroma for my blog. When I figure that out I will share it with you.
Other issue with being over the kitchen is the heat. I thought that during the winter months the heat from the kitchen would also help heat the office. Alas, it is not true. A gas heater is still needed. Most days we are wearing gloves, mufflers, and at least three layers, trying to stay warm. The other day, I was in the staff lounge getting a cup of hot water and the kitchen cook came in. I said, " Man, it is a lot warmer today." To which she retorted, "Only if you are in the kitchen." I replied," I was wondering why the kitchen always had at least five people in there." She said, "Because of the heat." I smiled, "And here I thought it was your warm personality." She laughed, " Well, that too."
I guess I need to enjoy the aroma while I can, as I will be moving to a new office in about three weeks. Hope that I can still get some whiffs of lunch cooking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment