2013 crept in quietly at my house. I was asleep by 10PM last night and woke up at 6AM this morning wondering if the new year had come. I mean, I had no indication that it had happened! There were no fireworks, no street roamers singing at the top of their voices, no noise! It was just another day on the calendar here. It was quite bizarre. (Nepal's new year will be celebrated in March or April, and then I will not be sleeping, so I should get caught up now.)
 |
|
I went in to school today and got some work done. When I got back home, Didi was still here. She was finishing up work and I asked her if she wanted a cup of coffee. She was a bit taken back, but said, "Yes." I had one of those sticks of coffee powder with the milk and the sugar already mixed in. I got the water boiling and she ran over to get the milk and sugar. I said in very broken Nepali, " No, it is already in there." "What?!" she exclaimed. So I torn off the top and poured the mixture into the cup and handed it to her. She could not get over it. When I poured the boiling water in, she cried out, "The milk, the milk...I see it!" There was such delight on her face, I just had to smile. She enjoyed the whole cup and kept marveling over the whole thing. I realized it was the small, personal interactions that really matter. Before she left, I gave her another one to take home.
I am not one to make New Year resolutions but I decided right then and there - I need to take more time to delight in the little interactions this year! That should not be hard, right!?
Happy 2013!
No comments:
Post a Comment