Friday, January 4, 2013

Hot Water Bottle Bed fact


 Last night as I was laying in bed trying to stay warm with two hot-water bottles, I got to thinking about a water bed. If I just bought about 15 more hot-water bottles and filled them up with hot water I could cover my bed, sleep warm, and have a water bed. I  began to wonder if the person who created the waterbed started with this idea. I decided to look it up this morning, found a couple websites that explained it, and this was the one I liked best.
Who Invented the waterbed?
The earliest recorded use of a 'waterbed' was over 3000 years ago when Persians slumbered on sun-warmed goat skin water bags. Modern waterbeds were first devised by a British physician, Dr. William Hooper, in 1851. He recognized the benefits of a pressure reduced surface in the treatment of a number of medical conditions and made a basic water filled mattress from rubber. Finally, in the 1960's an American, Charles Hall, refined the construction using hi-tech materials and sophisticated production techniques into the PVC based mattresses we are familiar with today.
copied from http://www.waterbed.co.uk/faq01.html



So it actually sounds like the sun-warmed goat skins were hot water bottles of sorts. Just wanted you to be informed and if you get a chance, bring this fact up in conversation with someone today!



No comments:

Post a Comment