Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Holi Festival


The neighborhood has been alive with the sounds of kids screaming, dogs barking, and water balloons bursting. As I sit here and write this blog,  I have a front row seat, behind glass panes, of the water and color powder wars being raged. It is the Hindu festival of Holi, a time to celebrate color and spring. 

A group of high schoolers from the school just passed in front of my house on the way to do battle with a group of teachers who had gathered together further up the road. They were attacked by a group from the British school, who are playing across the street from my house. Now I can hear the din of the teachers versus the students battle at my house.  Just glad I decided not to take part.

The neighbor kids have been battling and attacking passer-byers all morning. I went out on the porch to see their tactical battle formations, but made sure that I was unobserved. I know I would be a target if they saw me. 

So I am locked up tight in my castle today with plenty of provisions and a couple books to read. I am quite content to watch all the action from my high-perched, living-room window and stay nice and dry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment