Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Seder Dinner

Rabbi 


The Hall 
Matzot and Bitter Herbs
Monday was Passover and I went along with some friends to the Seder . It was a culturally-stimulating event! There were about 350 people there…mostly Israelis... security was tight and it was all in Hebrew. I did scrounge an English/Hebrew copy of a Haggadah, which was helpful in allowing me to follow the narrative. 
Next Year in....? 
The most interesting thing about the whole celebration was that in the past, the Seders I have attended are all solemn, quiet affairs, but this one was loud and quite jolly! The Rabbi stood on a podium in the middle of the banquet hall and conducted the Seder. He had a table of about five burly guys right at the foot of the podium that if he pointed to them, they would all yell out in Hebrew, “Be Quiet!” but nobody really listened to them. He didn't use a mic as the power kept going out.   There was lots of singing and even a raffle during the actual dinner.  After about four hours of festivities (and we still had not found and eaten the Afikoman), and all the matzot I could eat, I said, “Next year in Jerusalem” and took my leave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment