The house that I am staying in as two didis. A didi is actually the word for 'older sister', but is also used from the ladies who come and clean, cook, and wash clothes for you. I happen to have two didis and a gardener to look after. I actually do my own washing and I really don't like to leave dirty dishes in the sink, but I am loving the idea of having meals prepared for me. And both of these ladies love to cook. I have to keep inviting others over to help me eat it all. I really don't decide on the menu... they just arrive and say, " How about this tonight?" I say, "Sure" and end up eating that meal for three days in a row. A lot of times, I pack it up for lunches, which is a huge blessing.
Well anyways... having these two ladies around has allowed me to improve my Nepali quite a bit. Speaking and listening! So that has been a bonus.
Today I sat down for a cup of tea with the lady who came and we had a talk about families with her. I was surprised want I remember from language class. I have a whiteboard hanging in my dining room (go figure) and so when I can't think of a word, I draw a picture ( I know, I know, I am such a teacher). But it has been good to connect with these ladies. On Thursday, I got to see the other lady for about 20 minuted. ( I rarely see her, but since I am on holidays , I was home).
I still have not seen the gardener...talked to him on the phone.. he wanted to make sure I left money to pay the bills. The most I know about him, is that I always have to have milk for him, as he must have milk with his tea.
So that is news from my estate.
Boy does that sound strange.
No comments:
Post a Comment