So today I found out that one of the new people and our Nepali teacher were going into Kathmandu to buy some material. I invited myself along and we had a grand adventure! The three of us, plus a 3 month old little girl, got into a taxi and headed across the river into the city. (I actually live in the city of Patan, which is one of the three towns that make up the greater Kathmandu area). The taxis here are quite small so as we were 'four-wheeling' along the muddy roads I thought for sure we were going to get stuck and have to push the car out of the mud. But we made it into downtown. It was so crowded!
We alighted in one section of town and then had to walk through a number of alley ways until we came to the right place. As we were dodging motorcycles, cars, and beggars, everyone was breaking out into these huge smiles. I could not understand why, until I realized that the 3 month old was quite visible. I said to her mother, Fran, " I am so glad your daughter came along." Fran looked at me a bit puzzled, so I continued, " Usually when I walk around people stop and just stare at me because of my hair. But with your daughter here, I can pass without problem." She said that her girls get a lot of attention. Welcome to the club!
We were able to find the hole in the wall that sold the material we were looking for and I even got a couple meters to have a shirt made.
Finding a taxi home took a bit of finagling, but we eventually found one. It was rush hour so it took a while but overall it was a great first excursion.
I have posted photos for some of my candid shots.
We were able to find the hole in the wall that sold the material we were looking for and I even got a couple meters to have a shirt made.
Finding a taxi home took a bit of finagling, but we eventually found one. It was rush hour so it took a while but overall it was a great first excursion.
I have posted photos for some of my candid shots.
No comments:
Post a Comment