Thursday, June 20, 2013

MUN Days

In Feb. I was asked if I had any suggestions for the secondary end of year events. Each year two days are spent concentrating on a subject to allow students a more in-depth experience with that subject. Last year the art department had a cultural art program over those two days.  So I was asked for my suggestions.

Now one should know if they give a suggestion, that it is possible that it would  become their job to see the fulfillment of that suggestion carried out... one should know!

As the theme of this term is one of our core values:justice, I suggested that the school run a Model United Nations session on a subject about a child issue... and thought that child soldiers would be a good idea.  It was immediately adopted and I was put in charge! ARGH!!!!

So after collecting a team of experts and spending many hours of figuring out how to run one of these sessions, today is the first day.  I am quite nervous about it all because I have heard at least one student complain a couple times that he is disappointed that he is not getting to do art again this year and this MUN thingy will be so much work cause they have to write, research, and debate!  ARGH again!

My main job is all the grunt work and keeping everyone supplied with what is needed, like pens, paper, room assignments, and water.  During the opening session, I am to give a speech about child soldiers in Afghanistan, acting as a former soldier who confronted a child at one stage. Should be an interesting story.  I'll let you know how it goes, once I think of it.

I know there will be gaps, but I am hoping they are not too gaping and that once involved in the whole ordeal, the students will see merit in it.  I have a survey for the students at the end.. that I probably will not read cause I am too nervous about their comments. Anyways I am on a high learning curve over the next two days. Need to put on my safety harness and start climbing...

No comments:

Post a Comment