Last year at the end of the school year, I signed up to do three weeks of chapel in a row. Not only to the elementary school, but also to the middle school! WHAT WAS I THINKING!?!?!
Something completely different than what I ended up doing, that is for sure.
We are using Heb 10:23-25 as our term verses ...again... and so I as I was preparing for the chapels, I decided to focus on the Bible passage. Since no one else had, I thought it would be safe. In one version of the Bible, it uses the word...SPUR ON... which got me thinking of horses and cowgirls. Then I found a wooden horse on a stick and a cowboy hat and that meant creative juices were flowing! What did I come up with?
Ellona Ranger and her trusted horse Goldie! Riding the plains looking for righteousness, justice and truth. Each week she comes riding in and stops to rest and talking about the word of God with the kids. One verse from the Hebrews passage each week and the key word in that passage is then unpacked.
Last week it was Hold Tight and Ellona, who is a distance cousin to the more famous Lone Ranger, talked about that time that she and Goldie had to outrun a prairie fire and Goldie jumped over Rattlesnake Gulch! Ellona had to hold tight as Goldie jumped. That memory reminded her of a story from the Bible of three young men in a furnace ( with participation from volunteers) and how they held tight to the promises of God even in the face of death by fire!
The first time I did it, it was for the middle school - Grade 6-9. I was quite jittery and it was a bit rough, I thought. It was the first time I had ever done a chapel for a middle school. After the chapel, I was quite rattled. ( and I ain't talking snakes) But I got some positive feedback. In fact the high school students heard about it and asked why they didn't get any drama in their chapels.
:)
The next day I did it for the elementary and felt more in my element! Kids have been pestering me about where Goldie is all week and in line up Goldie and Ellona get mentioned frequently by others. Makes me grit my teeth though.
This week is Episode 2 Spur on!
No comments:
Post a Comment