Sunday, August 11, 2013

Where the Sidewalk ... Holey Moley, That Looks Dangerous!



 I read in the paper the other day that the govt had made the decision to work on beautifying the city. Oh really?!  Because of the monsoon rains this year, they were delaying the work on the roads, but wanted to keep all those they hired busy, so beautifying the city was the next best thing I guess!
What exactly does that mean? Well it means making SIDEWALKS!  and that has been happening like crazy!
The other day as I was walking to school, I came across this new sidewalk. Everyone was walking on it because it was so new, so I jumped up on it too. ( and when I say JUMP, I mean JUMP! The curbs were about a 12 to 14 inches high: not sure if that was to help keep vechicle travel off it or add some built in bending exercises for the citizenery?)
So there I was cruising with the others down the sidewalk and then BANG ... this hole!  I was amazed, although I am not sure why, since I have seen this problem elsewhere. But there is was... this gaping hole!
My first thought was, "Glad I wasn't walking through here at night!"  and my second thought was, " I hope no sight-impaired person comes along here by themselves." It was pretty deep.  I scooted around it and kept going. Sure enough about 20 yards down the sidewalk, there was another hole.  This pattern went on for a while and i  got a good look a the sewer system of the country.
Now I do believe that in my home country, we have taken the issue of protecting the public from danger a bit too far(then again,  maybe most people need that protection). However, I see the value of having at least some warning/protective measures in construction areas too, especially after living here. There are many times that I think - you know it would be good to have had a bit of a warning that something was wrong.

I am happy to report that I did walk by the area again a couple days later and the holes have been covered. I just wonder how many people fell into them first?!

No comments:

Post a Comment