Today, we studied Alaska. Actually we studied Seward's Folly. I can prepared to class with my prezi, a can of Alaskan salmon I had, and with the assurance of ice cubes in the freezer.
We talked about the purchase of Alaska and every ten miuntes my alarm went off so that a couple of the students could read out to the class, facts about Alaska, that I handed out. Then when I finished the presentation we opened the can of salmon, which they were not sure they wanted to eat at first... but after the first bite they were sold and I had to rescue some for me. We then went outside to practice being rugged Alaskans by having a melting ice cubes in our hands competetion. It took about 9 minutes for the "cold -blooded" winner to declare victory. One of the students said I should have made them stand on one foot as they tried to keep the cubes from melting... hmmm. good idea for the next time!
I finished the class with my take-away- that no matter how people ridicule or say your ideas are dumb, keep pressing forward and striving to reach that goal! That is what Seward did and look at the benefits the US reaped!
We talked about the purchase of Alaska and every ten miuntes my alarm went off so that a couple of the students could read out to the class, facts about Alaska, that I handed out. Then when I finished the presentation we opened the can of salmon, which they were not sure they wanted to eat at first... but after the first bite they were sold and I had to rescue some for me. We then went outside to practice being rugged Alaskans by having a melting ice cubes in our hands competetion. It took about 9 minutes for the "cold -blooded" winner to declare victory. One of the students said I should have made them stand on one foot as they tried to keep the cubes from melting... hmmm. good idea for the next time!
I finished the class with my take-away- that no matter how people ridicule or say your ideas are dumb, keep pressing forward and striving to reach that goal! That is what Seward did and look at the benefits the US reaped!
No comments:
Post a Comment