Thursday, August 15, 2013

My Trip through US History

I think I have mentioned that I am teaching US History to the seniors. It was been quite a new experience for me and I have been enjoying the challenge.
 In one class, the question was

WHO WAS JEFFERSON  DAVIS?

So I made these 'puppets' and placed them in front of the class and asked them which one was Davis. They started to eliminate the people, taking out Lincoln first. I thought that was interestingly eerie, but he has the most recognizable face, so it was a given.
 As they discussed and pointed out people I would explain who they really were and what role they played in the fight.

They finally pointed to the Davis puppet and I proceeded to tell them about this poor man's very sorrowful tale. He never really had a lot going for him, and like Lincoln had been put in a very difficult spot.

It was very interesting for me to read and study up on this man and his part in the Civil War. I learned so much about each of these men and the role they played in shaping the identity of the USA.  I'm glad I am taking the class.

Next class... Seward's Folly, or How America bought a refrigerator with a freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment