Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Speaking Dragonese

In How to Train Your Dragon Club today, we learned to speak some Dragonese, the language that dragons speak to each other. Very few da wingless... I mean....humans can roarspeak...I mean talk to a greenclaw... I mean...talk to a dragon. So the kids loved it. Dragons are not the cleanest of speakers and a lot of what they say is very ...crude. They talk a lot of about biting, eating, sleeping and having to perform bodily functions. So I was a bit concerned with what to teach this young, impressionable minds. But we did okay. So here was one of the conversations:

G: So dragons are not known for being loving and lovable. They do not display affection much. Therefore if a dragon were  to say to you, " Me likee" what do you think it was saying?

S1: I like something
S2: I like me?
G: Close. They use the word "like' for our word ...( and I drew a heart on the board here)
S3: I know.. I love me.
S4: No I love you.
G: That is correct!  "I love you.. me likee, is I love you. So when you go home, give your mom a na breathy and tell her, 'Me likee, but na do di heebi jeebis.'"

The kids cracked up.. because that sentence means  "Give your mom a hug but  no kisses!"

Most of the conversations went the same.

So that was our club today. At the end of the class, one student returned and said,"Thankee!"  That made me smile and I sent him off with a "Toodleoon"




No comments:

Post a Comment