Today, I was catching up on my reading (and as you know, I like to share what I am reading with others). Lately I have been trying to read cultural and informational books about my adopted country. I figure it will help me understand the traditions and social norms better.
I finished two books today; one on Cultural and Etiquette in Nepal, (it was a bit out of date, written before the monarchy was done away with, but still had some good stuff) and the other was called the Soul of the Rhino. The Soul of the Rhino was a fascinating read about one man's conservation efforts to keep the Nepal Rhino from extinction. Having just been to Chitwan and seen two of these wild rhinos myself, I was riveted by the story. it always helps when you have been to the places you are reading about. I learned more about the customs and ideology of the country and how the Nepali rhino has become such a huge national symbol. If you can find a copy, I would highly recommend it!

No comments:
Post a Comment