Yesterday during staff meeting, I dilved into the world of Nepali Idioms. It was quite fun.
I was teaching about how idioms can be very cultural and give an outsider insight into a language. I gave a few examples of the misuse of idioms and talked about how language learners, when they really have learned a language can use idioms correctly.
I had found about 8 proverbs in Nepali and so called eight Nepali staff up to read and then judge whether or not the badeshis could figure out what they meant.
It was a a good lesson for me and everyone had a giggle.
My favorite one was....an eating mouth is not stopped by the mustache.
Any ideas?
The mustache idiom means something to the effect of
ReplyDelete"I am not going to let a little thing keep me from doing what I need to do. " ,Where there is a will there is a way' idea.
My ox is 12 rupees means 'the bottom line' or 'the final offer'.