Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thoughts about the Avocado

A number of years ago, I decided to face my aversion to avocados, because I was going to be traveling in an area of the world that lived on this fruit and I knew I needed to be able to eat them. Otherwise I would starve! So I bought an avocado and watched it ripen. Finally the day came that I decided it was ready to eat. And eat it I did. I have to say, I did not enjoy the taste necessarily but I ate it. I figured I was good for the trip, because I would just remind myself that I had already eaten one and so another one was not going to kill me.  The trip went well and yes, I eat a lot of avocados during that time. I even came to enjoy them.

Fast forward to today...I have five avocados on my table. (All of them given to me). I am thinking back to that day in Korea that I decided to eat an avocado and having a bit of a chuckle.  I am thankful of avocado season...it means I am eating something green..but then I reflect on how taking that  first step to try an avocado so many years ago has brought me to a place where I am now sitting in my kitchen In Nepal with five ripe avocados in front of me, I got to thinking.

There have been many first steps for me. Some have been good one,some have led to separation, discomfort, or downright fear!  Yet if I had not taken those steps, I hate to think how much I would have missed out on, especially coming to understand the faithfulness of God! God's guidance and direction is so perfect in timing. His path is straight and trustworthy. What a joy to look back and see the path I have walked because of stepping out in obedience to Him.  And may I always be willing to take that first step until I finally take that first step into the heavenly presence of God! Come Lord Jesus!

But in the meantime... I think my corn tortilla is calling for a bit of guacamole!
.

1 comment:

  1. oh, I like this one. It is good. Yes, that first step into Glory will be fantastic, beyond anything we can imagine. Come Lord Jesus, come!

    ReplyDelete