Monday, October 15, 2012

Wrestling Thoughts

 I don't know much about wrestling, it is not a sport I particularly enjoy, professional or real, but I was stuck by a thought today that I want to work through and it involves wrestling.

I was reading the passage in Genesis 32 that talks about Jacob wrestling with God. Jacob has just fled from this father-in-law and dealt of that relationship. Now he turned to face the next broken relationship, that with his brother Esau. In the midst of all this emotional turmoil, he ends up alone and wrestles with God...physically wrestles with God ! Looks Him in the face, touches Him, and comes out being the winner.  I think Jacob was pouring all his frustration, worry, and fear into that tussle and that is why he overcame.  [I  also really want to know... Did this 'man' just walk up to him and say, " Hey, you want to wrestle?"  or was it a surprise attack?  I mean, how did that all come about?. Anyways it did.]

The act of wrestling with God is never an easy thing. It is a struggle, a real struggle. Mostly on our side. Sometimes I imagine that when we are struggling  with God, He is standing there with his hand on our heads letting us work out.  But in Jacob's case, these two men were in a physical battle. Wow! It must have been intense! I mean, they wrestled all night!

It got me thinking...What do my struggles look like? Are they that intense and difficult? In the midst of them, I think they are! but what is causing my struggles? My fears, worries and frustration?  During my struggles, am I thinking clearly, without emotions getting in the way. In my struggles do I recall all that God has done for me and all He promises to do?  Am I struggling to praise Him instead of doubting or throwing a tantrum. Why am I struggling again?  So many questions  and doubts whirl around my brain and heart during these times...it can be very stressful and intense! I have often wondered,'How did Jacob overcome?' Sure he walked away with a limp for the rest of his life, but he also received a new name. And with that new name, Israel, a new outlook on life.  He received a blessing!  How did he do it?

Then I remembered something about wrestling. When two opponents are facing off on the mat, they look at each other and watch the face. That is their focus!  What a good reminder... that when I am wrestling with God and the things He is showing/telling/asking me to be obedient to, I need to look Him in the face! I need to focus on Him, and Him only!  It even says in the passage that  Jacob called the place Peniel because he realized  he had seen God face to face, and yet his life was spared.

 Focus on God!  Read His Word, praise Him, and recount all His promises. Meet with Him face to face and come away blessed with a new, fresh outlook!

Man, is He good!






No comments:

Post a Comment