
So today, I took my GA for another walk. This one was actually very uneventful in the actual walking, except once when I forgot that I was wearing long pants and so the eyes on my knees could not see where to step and the eyes on my face were looking up. I miss-stepped and went down, twisting my ankle for a moment... but was able to walk it off and then stopped to get a photo of this temple complex. Later, as a friend of mine and I were walking around a mall, I noticed some very high heels and wondered how anyone could walk in those around here! It would be so dangerous. She said that people here mostly wear them to discos and parties. But still...! This temple, situated on a major road always seems deserted to me (except for the monkeys) whenever I go by. This was the first time for me to pass it on foot, so was able to get a couple photos of it.

I also finally made it to this tower structure. I have driven by it a couple times and seen postcards of it...but I am still not sure what it is called.. I forgot to read the Nepali sign...wait... it is called Bhimsen Tower... thanks Wiki...I did not go up to the observation deck... too many stairs... and I thought I would wait until some friends came to Nepal to visit me and wanted to go up. that way they can carry me up on their backs.
Back in 1934... there was a massive earthquake in the valley and I have seen photos of this tower before and right after it happen. In the 'after" photo the top 2/3 of the tower is missing. But it is such an icon, they rebuilt it again.

The four-hour walk I ended up taking, also lead me passed the parade grounds, which is now a public park, for lack of a better word. There were about six football games happening and 15 cricket matches. I stopped in the shade for a bit to watch the cricket. It is such a passion here. The other day, the country was in mourning because Kuwait's team actually beat Nepal... something that is rare, apparently. I guess more folks went out to practice for the next game. I was actually walking home through a narrow alley later on and there was this kid practicing his pitches. He was a bit upset that I got in the way of his throwing.
I thought about stopping to be one of his slips, but the intense look on his face told me..just move along lady!
Overall the walk was a success, because I found my way home. It was good to get out and see part of the city at a slower pace, then zipping by in a car.
No comments:
Post a Comment