Yesterday in class , I made a mistake and allowed my students to cut out snowflakes on our circle time carpet. The rug was littered with little paper bits, it looked like snow! After the initial clean up, I still needed to shake it out. So I rolled it up and heaved it onto my shoulder. As I did that , I said to the couple kids I had left in class, from my pull out time, " Come on. we need to go outside." "Why are you taking the carpet outside then?" I, in one of my not so lucid moments said, " To see if it can fly, of course?" Suddenly they all got excited and as we marched outside, they announced to everyone that we were going outside to see if the carpet would fly! Everyone just smiled and walked away quickly. We found a place to shake out the carpet and when I laid it out they all jumped on. So I sat down too. I said, "Fly! Carpet Fly!" Nothing (oh great surprise). One of the students saw that a corner was folded over and said, " It has to lay straight out." and fixed the carpet. " Fly! Carpet Fly!" we all said. Still nothing. " Well I guess we have a defect. Oh well, let's shake it out, roll it up, and head back to class." I smiled. They were all disappointed.
At the end of the day I ask the kids what they learned and one of the students replied, " We learned that carpets can not fly." I fired back, " And why is that?" Other student yelled out, ' Because Ms. Schlie was on the carpet with us and she is fat!"
Out of the mouths of babes...
No comments:
Post a Comment