Friday, December 14, 2012

Story Retelling

Yesterday in class, I told the story of the prodigal son with a " veggie tales" eques flavor.  The two sons were Bob and Barry.  I just started to tell the story and the kids asked me to draw my funny characters on the board. So I humored them and filled up the board.  As I was telling the story, I kept wondering if they would make the connection between the biblical version and mine. I got to the part where Barry needed to get a job, so I asked, " What is the worst job you could ever have?" They all decided, after some discussion, that it was a street cleaner in KTM, so that is what Barry ended up doing. It was so bad that even the street dogs growled at him as he tried to get close to take their food.  At this point in the story, one of the girls raises her hand and says, " Wasn't it pigs in the bible?"  All the kids started to nod. Good! I said, " Yes, yes it was. but we don't have pigs roaming our streets here." She accepted that and we continued.  It was a great 20 minutes of learning. We talked about righteousness and reconciliation. I enjoyed these times so much!  I will miss them next term.

No comments:

Post a Comment