Thursday, August 2, 2012

Getting Oriented.

"Hello. My name is Phil, but my parents call me, Gretchen.  I am called "Phil"  because this year I will 'Phil' in here and then 'Phil' in there. I have a lot of filling in to do this year. Besides 'Phil' is a lot easier to say then Gretchen. "

That is how I started the morning introductions on the first day of staff orientation. It was great because for the rest of the day, I had people asking me if  my real name was Phyllis or Philippa. What a good conversation starter...



We had a couple icebreaker games, which allowed folks to get to know each other and relax a bit.  It also allowed me to walk around and snap photos. This is a photo of all the Americans at the school. We are a small group, but we stand proud. The most amazing thing about this photo is that I am actually in it. I am not sure what I am doing...standing like that .. but I did have my hand over my heart.





This next photo is the grouping of people who use the same kind of toothpaste that I use. Please note the bright, shiny, whites!


After the icebreakers, we, as a staff spent about 2 hours talking about worldview and how it affects us as educators. No education is neutral!  No one, not even Christians, agree on all the aspects of  a biblical worldview. So there was a lot of time for discussion and getting people to share ideas.
I really enjoyed seeing the staff open up and talk about teaching with each other.

 What a wonderful way to start the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment