
The city looks like an earthquake zone, which is probably why the school had an earthquake drill yesterday (I am happy to report everyone made it out alive!)
When I first arrived in June, I would see these numbers on walls all over town. I thought it was a very unique way of numbering, although I did notice there was no rhyme or reason to the numbering system. I found out later that these numbers were spray painted there by the Urban Planning/Transportation officials to tell the owner of that wall to move it back by the number of meters stated. The +1 is for the sidewalk!


So now, no matter where you go in the city, this is the kind of scene you see...everywhere! Bricks, piles of dirt and sand, rubble!

A number of years ago, the government decided that all major roads need to be widened because private citizens and store owners have been encroaching on public property for years. The security walls and buildings narrowed the streets and there is no room for cars or pedestrians. So a citywide plan went into effect about two years ago and the deadline is coming up. People are getting busy, rather than paying the fines. Most of the people are carefully tearing down their walls to preserve the bricks so they can build a new wall further back. But a great number of mom'n'pop shops are being torn down completely. My favorite veggie vendor is having to move.
As I was walking around my hood yesterday, whole neighbors were out working on their walls. It really looks like a natural disaster happen, but if it means wider, paved roads and more importantly...sidewalks, I am all for it!
I have heard however that once the roads are widened and paved, they will be torn up again to put in a new sewer system. So much for urban planning!
No comments:
Post a Comment