Thursday, October 18, 2012

Visa Girl review

As the finale to my four-month long language class...the class went to see a movie. It was called Visa Girl. It's the story of three young men looking to get to America. They all overhear a conversation of an attractive young woman, who has a green card. Suddenly they are all interested in her. The story line was simple and the language was too. I got the gist of things. The funny thing is that in the movie there is a scene where a teacher is in the classroom and one of the guys comes to her door. She leaves the class to talk to him!  I was like.. excuse me! Who's watching the kids!?  Too much of an administrator, I suppose.

About half way through the movie there was an intermission. So we re-watched the ads, half of which were in English, while most of the audience got up to use the restroom or get food.  Then during the movie, every time someone lit a cigarette, a little message on the bottom left of the screen appeared, in English, saying that smoking was very dangerous for one's health.
 
Another neat thing about the movie was that it was filmed here in KTM, so a lot of the locations were places I had been or seen. I enjoyed that aspect of the film too.

It was a fantastic experience! Now I have to write a report about it.  Not sure if it needs to be in English or Nepali, so I will have to make a choice there...hmmm, which will it be?  :)

2 comments: