So when I was a kid, in Grade 2, I think it was...the school called my mom and mentioned that I had a lot of stomach issues right after lunch and it might be a good idea to have me see a doctor. My mom happened to ask which subject the teacher taught after lunch, to which the office replied, "Math" My mom said, "Send her back to class. There is nothing wrong with her stomach!" (Nowadays, a parent would have their kid yanked out of the home for that comment, which is totally bogus action and only goes to prove the stupidity of our child protection system these days.)
But my mom was very wise. She knew her daughter well. Her daughter,(that's me) had an intense dislike for all things numerical! (And actually still does, if truth be told). However as an educator myself, I must now hold the torch high for math and all things countable and measurable
Soooooo.....in class today, I invited one of the high school maths (he is British, so I had to add the 's') teachers to visit my Grade 2 class to acclimate him to the grade level with the hopes of him being a Grade 2 guest lecturer occasionally. I want the kids to have a fair shot at developing a love for math...I mean maths... and who better to impart that passion for numeracy than a math teacher!? This has nothing to do with the fact that I do not particularly enjoy the subject. I just want to give the students a unbiased viewpoint... oh wait? He loves math...ummm... I guess that is biased too. But rather a bias towards the subject than against it, I always say.
Anyways, it was a good class today... and the future guest lectures look promising! I guess math does win again...grrr!
No comments:
Post a Comment