Dear Parents,
Of late, I have noticed the students talking about
flatulence but in their colloquial terms of “farting” and “puffing”. I am not sure what has spurred this
conversation topic on, however I would like to take the wind out of their sails
a bit and help the students understand the process of flatulence. I’ll be using
a science resource called, Grossology, which gives a very clear
explanation.
If you hear your child talking about this topic, I encourage
you to ask them to explain the process to you.
Thank you for your time,
So here is the diagram I created to teach this unit. I decided to use a cow (rendering is more deer/dog-like) as they are actually greater producers of toxic gases than us lowly humans (We average only 14 toots a day). Each piece of the digestive system can be blue-tacked on. (And before I get inundated with emails... yes, I know cows have four stomachs).
It is my hope that in divulging the process of flatulence, the students will see it as a common bodily function and quite obsessing on it. However I realize that my plan could 'back-fire' and then I would have a real mess. Oh, the risks one takes in the field of education!
Lots of luck on this one
ReplyDelete