Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Tihar

We are coming up on the holiday of Tihar. It is quite a festive holiday with lots of lights, gift-giving,  carolers, and loud noises. Firecrackers have been going off for a couple nights now. Last night there were a couple neighbors having singing contests and all the balconies and walls were light by butter candles.
The tikka that is put on the forehead of everyone and everything ( dogs and cows mostly) is bright greens, yellows, pinks, and blues along with the normal reds. It is quite colorful. This holiday is five days in length, but the main celebration is Thursday,( the fifth day) with the pujas for brothers being the main event. I believe  this holiday is also called Diwali, the festival of lights, in other places.

All I know is that while I was lesson planning with my TA yesterday, she said, "You do remember that we have no school on Thursday." To which I replied,"What? You mean I can not teach all these ideas I planned for Thursday?" She just smiled. I continued,"Then the kids will just have to come in anyways. I mean I planned it already!" She was not sure if I was kidding or not, so I sighed dramatically, "This holiday is getting in the way of my fun! Well, I guess I could re-arrange things so we can have that day off." She seemed relieved.

 So Happy Holidays everyone! May this be a holiday where the Light of the World is shone brightly and boldly in all that we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment