Friday, November 16, 2012

Week Two Memories

This week has been a real joy!  I have been with the kids for two weeks now and really enjoy all of their individual personalities and comments. I think they are enjoying mine, as well. In fact, the ESL teacher was quite upset with me because the kids, who go with her, said that they now want to stay in the main classroom.
We have been doing all kinds of things this week. We had a field trip and visited a local vegetable garden. We tasted different herbs and had some peppermint tea...the peppermint was picked by the students!
Today we were learning about exclamation points! That was exciting! It was also good to hear them be so animated in their talking. And in math, we started multiplication (Isn't that a grade three subject?)
These next two weeks, we continue our study of plants by looking at the fruit family. We will be dissecting various types of fruit and studying the inners before chopping it up for our fruit salad.
I am reading a book about this little boy who doesn't like fruit and then discovers fruit salad. As I was reading today, I would change my voice for the different characters. One of the kids raised her hand and asked, "Why is the mother's voice so squeaky?"  Another student leaned over and whispered, " it's not the mother.... It's really Ms. Schlie."  I just had to chuckle. You can not put anything passed them.
I am thinking of having the kids make flavored oils for their moms for Christmas. I need to find some jars.  We can put herbs in the oils and make a nice label.  We are actually trying to grow onions and peppers in the class. The onions are doing well, but the peppers... I think we've lost them. But I want them to manufacture something for mom. Dad? They can buy him a necktie!
Today we were early for PE class, so instead of heading back up to the classroom, only to have to return, I got them all lined up in the gym and we hula danced ourselves around. We got tired of that, so then we did a Bollywood dance. They liked that one much better. I would sing out this little nonsense tune for each dance and finally one of the kids said," Ms. Schlie, how do you know so many different songs to dance to?"  I smiled, but before I could reply one of the other students said, " She must be well traveled." I just nodded in agreement.
I tell you, it is a joy to be interacting daily with this generation. They are all treasures!

No comments:

Post a Comment