Thursday, November 22, 2012

Our Tutti Fruitti Salad.

What we started with.
Pomegranate halves.
In class, we have been studying a book called Oliver's Fruit Salad. So as part of the plan, I decided to make a fruit salad with the kids. I went out to get all the fruit I could find. We had quite a bit actually. Our ingredients were strawberries, apples, oranges, bananas, pineapple, kiwi, pomegranate, and persimmons (Although I did not add the persimmons to the salad). We just taste-tested it along with everything else as Ms. Demo and I cut things up for the bowl.
As I cut, the kids drew  what the inside of each fruit looked like. It was quite interesting to see what they drew verses what was the real thing, but oh well. I think the kids enjoyed all the different types and tastes. At one point I asked about the skin of the persimmons and one student said, " The skin?!" I replied, " Yes, the peel is called the skin sometimes. Why do you think that is?"  Another student said, " Because it has the same color as you!"  I just laughed, " What....my skin is orange?"  " No, but your hair is!" (Finally... I have convinced them...after a discussion about it being yellow.)
colorful strawberries and kiwi
 When I cut the pomegranate, they were sure it was bleeding. With each fruit, I cut I would offer a sample. Before the class,many of the kids stated they only liked apples, strawberries, and bananas. But I was very proud of them for stepping out and giving some new fruits a taste. It was a great activity and all the people passing by were hoping for a taste too. But after a second helping each... there was nothing left!
Eating our desserts!



No comments:

Post a Comment