Sunday, November 11, 2012

the Banquet!

What a wonderful day! It is good to be alive! I woke and did some early food prep before heading to church. The sermon was good and  very inspiring as I start a new year serving Almighty God and living out His purposes for me here on earth! May I always be focused on Him and run the race, focused on the prize!

This year, I based my party on one of my favorite  childhood comic books, Asterix and Obelix and the banquet. The book was written in my birth year and follows the Tour de France. It also introduced the little dog, Dogmatix for the first time.

 The food was a success! I was a bit worried about the prunes covered in bacon and then fried (instead of baked because the power was off from noon to three today). And the salmon chowder was a huge hit! The great finale of the evening was my watermelon/pineapple cake ( thanks pinterest for the idea). We had the foods mentioned in the comic book - with a few substitutes for things we could not get here.





 I created a  board game based on the comic book too and we had a grand time playing and making up rules. Then we played a bit of boccie with ping-pong balls so that the rolling of the balls on the floor would not sound like thunder to those living below. In the comic book there is a group of gentlemen playing a version of boccie and since I love the game (in fact when I retire I would like to become a avid lawn bowls player) I wanted to be sure to add it. On the last bowl of the tournament  I bowled and gently hit the jack to win. So it was like icing on the cake...(except we did not have cake...although we did have the ice cream on the watermelon).

On the invites I mentioned no gifts. I just wanted a rock. So people brought me rocks and I wrote some truths on them and made myself an Ebeneazer. That way I can remember the Spiritual Truths that God has given me this year.  Then they prayed for me and said a blessing over me. It was a great celebration!  I am truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment