Saturday, July 20, 2013

Deep Fried Dill Pickles+

Messy fingers
deep fried dill pickles
Okay, not so deep fried.. but the oil was
still very hot!
So for the past six months, an American friend and I have been talking about making us some deep fried dill pickles. The first step was finding the dill pickles, which my Dad actually found when he was here.  We have been talking about it as one of the things to do over the summer and today we finally got all the ingredients together in one place.  I found a quick and easy batter recipe on line and got it all ready. Had to let the batter sit for about an hour, so we played a game.  After an hour, we decided to start the frying. The batter was not that thick, so we had to improvise with chickpea flour, but it all came together at the third attempt.  With all the  extra batter, we decided to  fry up some cheese (Water Buffalo cheese is not the best kind to use we found out...too watery) and a bounty bar and snickers. The snickers was great and the pickles were good too, but I loved the bounty bars!! I didn't realize you could make a bounty bar better, but you can! The cheese was not a good idea.  I actually tried deep frying some frozen coke ice cubes, but they disappeared into a large splatter of hot oil and we had to quickly turn off the stove.
This is a coIa ice cube before the batter.
it didn't work well.
Just as we got it all ready, some new friends stopped by and helped us enjoy all the artery-clogging food.  We used the cola ice cubes in our soda to wash it all down.  Then I worked all the grease off, cleaning up the kitchen!

A deep fried feast with friends
 It was a good adventure and now I can check that off my bucket list. We  did decided that the next time we had a hankering for something deep fried we would just go to the state fair and buy it. It would be much easier and a lot cleaner!




No comments:

Post a Comment