So today was a three language day! I went to a Nepali Church were finally the sermon was in Nepali. The preacher spoke on the Good Samaritan and had a power point with some English on it.. so I spent the time reading the Nepali and matching it up with the English and working on my grammar. In case you are concerned, I did get the points of the sermon too. He was talking about the kinds of love (phileo) that are seen in our world. I even understood when he commented that the furthest distance one ever has to travel is from your brain to your heart. Language One: Nepali
After the service, i rushed out the door trying to catch a guest. During the service, first time visitors stand and state their name and country. This man stood and said... my name is Tony and I am from Papua New Guinea. So after the service I had a chance to speak Pidgin with a wantok. He was from Milne Bay... but he humored me. Language Two: Pidgin
I met a couple friends for lunch and then rushed off for my next adventure. I had been introduced to a parent at school and since they were Korean... I asked if when Chusok ( Korean Thanksgiving) was. She said, " There is a celebration tomorrow. I will pick you up at 1:45." Who was I to argue? So not quite sure what to expect, I met her and we drove over to the Korean School. All the Korean kids attend this school on Saturday afternoons for about 5 hours of history, language, and culture. Today was a culture day! I actually felt at home while I was there. I did not understand most of the language spoken around me, but it still felt comfortable. A lot of the students who attend our school were quite surprised to see me, but they all said hello. There was food making, games, songs, and dance. I even took a turn pounding the rice for the duk. It was all good fun! Language Three: Korean
Now you may be wondering about English. Since that is not a language to me... but my mode of daily communication, I am not counting it as a language. It is my mother tongue and boy am I glad I speak it.
After the service, i rushed out the door trying to catch a guest. During the service, first time visitors stand and state their name and country. This man stood and said... my name is Tony and I am from Papua New Guinea. So after the service I had a chance to speak Pidgin with a wantok. He was from Milne Bay... but he humored me. Language Two: Pidgin
I met a couple friends for lunch and then rushed off for my next adventure. I had been introduced to a parent at school and since they were Korean... I asked if when Chusok ( Korean Thanksgiving) was. She said, " There is a celebration tomorrow. I will pick you up at 1:45." Who was I to argue? So not quite sure what to expect, I met her and we drove over to the Korean School. All the Korean kids attend this school on Saturday afternoons for about 5 hours of history, language, and culture. Today was a culture day! I actually felt at home while I was there. I did not understand most of the language spoken around me, but it still felt comfortable. A lot of the students who attend our school were quite surprised to see me, but they all said hello. There was food making, games, songs, and dance. I even took a turn pounding the rice for the duk. It was all good fun! Language Three: Korean
Now you may be wondering about English. Since that is not a language to me... but my mode of daily communication, I am not counting it as a language. It is my mother tongue and boy am I glad I speak it.
No comments:
Post a Comment