Thursday, September 6, 2012

Understanding Castes

In LOP yesterday we got into a discussion about castes. Last Friday, there was a presentation of the caste system in Nepal for all the LOP students, but I was on the road, so I missed it. (I need to watch the video recording of it.)  So I did a lot of research myself, reading articles about caste origins and how they all relate. Through my research and talking with my Nepali teachers, it is quite understandable how the present government came into power here. They used the lower castes outside of the Kathmandu Valley in their uprising, even though officially the King had barred caste discrimination in the 1960s.  It is said that now the caste system is slowly disappearing as many of the government officials are now from the two lower caste levels and they make demands for equality of all. However, under the surface it is still alive and kicking!
What an eye opener that class was!

No comments:

Post a Comment