Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Intruder Alert!

So at 2:30 this afternoon, I was walking out of the admin building at school and noticed a couple folks standing in the courtyard, looking up into our mango tree.  " What are you looking at?" I asked.
"Monkeys!" they all answered in unison.  "Really? Then shouldn't we go to a yellow alert?"  I asked jokingly. "No, we should go to RED alert. There are intruders on campus!" one of the staff answered. We all laughed but nervously.  I asked, "What does the handbook say about monkeys?" "Nothing, cats, dogs, and rats... we have info on how to handle...but monkeys..nothing!" came the reply.

Monkeys in Nepal are dangerous. They are disease-infected vermin. There was an organization from Europe that came a couple years ago to give all the monkeys in Kathmandu rabies shots. But that was a couple years ago and there are more monkeys now.  Seeing them on our side of the river is very unusually and and even more so in our mango tree, which is not fruiting at the moment.  So, somehow these two monkeys moseyed along and ended up in our tree. Not good!

( I remember in Singapore having a big monkey visit the mango trees there and climb on the school roof. Just trying to remember what was done to take care of that situation...Hmmm?!)

So now we had a problem! We didn't want the kids to see them and set about throwing things at them. It was ten minutes until school released for the day. And with the crowd of folks gathering around the tree, it was a dead give away that something was up there. I suggested that they have the school line up in the hall instead of the courtyard and that little be said about our visitors.

And...since I am not in charge, and I did not want to be one of the ones standing around, drawing attention to our visitors, I left.  So, I actually have no idea how it all ended.
But I guess we need to update the handbook soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment