Sunday, September 9, 2012

Interactions

I was at one of the few multi-level department store the other day and planned to go upstairs via the escalator. As I approached the moving stairs, a group of  village women were just getting on. Actually they were all trying to coordinate their feet with each step as it passed, hoping that they made it. They all succeed, but one.  So I walked up to her, put my arm around her shoulders and said..." Ek, Dui, Tin."  We both lifted our legs and took an large step on to the escalator.  The poor woman's friends were laughing hard, but the two children with them were crying.  Not sure if it was out of fear of me or the fact that this woman was in a panic.
However, she made it to the top and broke out into a big nervous grin!  I smiled and moved on to the next floor...but not before I saw my new friend head to the regular stairs.

THEN....

In the taxi yesterday, I got to sit in the passenger seat...which is always a gamble for me.  One of my friends wondered which district of town we were going through... so I turned to the driver and asked in perfect Nepali, " Districtko nam ke ho?" He answered and I felt mighty good about it. So I decided to practice a bit more.  I asked, " taipaiko aamaa nam ke ho?"  My friends in the back seat howled. I said it correctly, but I had done something we all joked about never doing in class (asking a stranger what their mother's name was...who would do that? Me!)
He told me and now, egged on by the two in the back seat, I asked him,"Taipaiko nam ke ho?" At least that is what I thought I said. What I actually said was... "What is MY name?"  I always mix up the pronouns.  The poor taxi driver had this blank look on his face and then I realized my mistake. I corrected my question with a red face and he told me his name was Rani. Boy, do I have a story for my language teacher on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment