Directions in Nepali are quite entertaining. I am still trying to wrap my head around the concept of "...to" and "....from " and which location words these two prepositions are attached at the end of.
We had a large map of Nepal out today in class and I was trying to explain in Nepalish where I had gone this last week... but I felt that I was traveling backwards. So getting around may be a problem if I am traveling alone and going on public transport. I think I will stay in KTM for a bit longer.
Another interesting language fact is that of 'right' and 'left'. In English, to remember which way is left, we teach kids to stretch out their pointer finger and their thumb, with thumbs pointed towards each other. The hand that makes the "L" is the left, so therefore the other hand is right. In Nepali, the words for left and right start with a "b" and a "d" respectively. So students are taught to form a b/d with their fingers and hands so as to figure out left and right from the letter that is formed. The funny thing about that process it that it attaches English alphabet letters (b and d) to a Nepali word.
And now you need not wonder why I am finding this language learning so confusing!
We had a large map of Nepal out today in class and I was trying to explain in Nepalish where I had gone this last week... but I felt that I was traveling backwards. So getting around may be a problem if I am traveling alone and going on public transport. I think I will stay in KTM for a bit longer.
| the Nepali way of telling left from right with English letters. |
| English way of telling left from right |
And now you need not wonder why I am finding this language learning so confusing!
No comments:
Post a Comment