Saturday, July 14, 2012

Flying Half Ra


Four weeks of language school and what do I have to show for it? A Flying Half Ra! And if you don't have one, man, you are missing out.
A couple posts ago, I was talking about half letters and mentioned that I had not yet learned the three rules of the half letter 'R' (HLR).  Well, I can not feign ignorance anymore (now I am just going to chalk it up to less brain cells than I was born with). Nor am I going to dazzle (maybe bedazzle is a better term) you with my full understanding of this linguistic  nightmare, but let's just say...putting letters in one space and saying them in another is enough to cause dyslexia to become paramount in TWO languages. (At least in Nepali, I can blame it on the actual spelling!) And I must in all fairness mention that the HLR is not the only letter that is placed in one space and said in another. The vowel sound, [e] as in the word 'niece' is written before it's consonant, but said after. So I had some warning. But really - Who does that?
All said though, there is a plus side to learning the rules for the HLR.  I can actually spell my name in Devanagari now!

BONUS!!!


3 comments: