I know I am camping on the language theme, but it is where I am at at the moment. Whereas the other posts have not been so happy, today's post is a praise!
Today in LOP class, we were talking about shopping and all the food products. I thought, ' Ah good. This is useful for living.' In our script class, we had the 'privilege' of writing all the vegatable names in script. I did better today.
So good class- success # 1!
I had a couple errands to run after class and as I headed home, I thought, 'I would like Shepherd's Pie tonight. But that involves buying potatoes...now what was the word for 'potatoes'? Um?..aa? aalu?..aalu! Yes, I think that is right. Now how do I ask if they have some? That was a phrase we also learned today....paainchaa! So if I put aalu with paainchha, I have aalu paainchha, which means 'Do you have potatoes available?' I think...yeah, that is right... I might be able to do this.'
Make a sentence in Nepali -Success #2!
As I walked closer and closer to the store (pasol) I kept repeating the phrase in my mind.. Then as I neared the shop I thought, ' Okay I am almost to the store...here goes!'
I walked up and greeted the shopkeeper (saahuji) and he smiled and greeted me back. I then proceeded to ask, "aalu paainchha?"
He said, " hajur. aaunus." (which means 'yes, come in please' or 'yes, go into the store")
So I went in and he handed me a plastic bowl and pointed to the box of aalu. I picked out a couple and he weighed them.
He looked at me and said, " Ekwatta." ( translated -one more)
So I got another one and put it on the scale. I asked, "kati rupee?"
He thought a moment and then replied, "40"
WHAT?! 40? In English?!
I had to smile at that one. So I paid him and left the store with a "Dhanyabhad"- Success #3
As I walked out of the shop, I step into the road and almost got hit! I laughed. Well, I did need my potatoes mashed!
Good job!!
ReplyDelete