Saturday, July 7, 2012

Heart of Education

As I have been exploring the city, I keep coming across a Star of David-like symbol. The first time I saw it, I thought, " Wow! a Jewish remnant is here..How strange for them to be in Nepal."
Then one night, I was watching TV ( one of the two channels we get) and there were all these 'commercials' for schools and universities. Each one had this star sign on it. So I started to put two and two together - this star was somehow related to education.

Then in class the other day, the guru drew the symbol on the board and asked if we knew what it was. I said, " From my Jewish roots, I recognize it as the Star of David." She said, "No this is Hitler's sign for the Jews." I was aghast, so I gave her an impromptu history lesson. Once that was sorted out, I mentioned that I had seen a lot of these in relation to educational institutions. She replied, " Yes, that is correct. We have a goddess of learning, Saraswati, and this is the symbol of her heart, the six angles called a 'Shatkona'. So when you see this sign, it is representing education of some fashion, usually high schools or universities."

So I did a little more research. Saraswati is sometimes referred to as Sharada, who is the fountainhead of knowledge that leads seekers from darkness to light and from ignorance to spiritual upliftment.
Once again -truth twisted.

No comments:

Post a Comment