Friday, July 6, 2012

My First Bandha

Today is my first bandha! There have been others since I arrived, but this is the first to actually effect me.

What is a bandha? A bandha is a strike. They are quite commom here in Nepal, so it just becomes a part of life. This one I heard is in Litilapur, a nearby district and it concerns the issue of the slums that were recently bulldozed down by the Bagmati River.

So how is bandha effecting me? My langauge class was canceled because the guru could not get to school. That would have been good news, except for the fact that when she called, I was just walking through the school gate!
Oh well, I came up to my office and started practicing my script anyways.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you need to go out and practice the verbal part too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update on my first bandha. I was able to have a short class for language and then headed home. As I was walking, I noticed crowds of people milling around or just sitting on the sides of the roads, watching and waiting. A mini van of riot police drove by and stopped on the road just before my usual lane. There were broken bricks laying all over the road. So I took the next available lane and booked it home. It was a little unnerving. At about 2:30, it had all cleared up, a few of the stores opened, and traffic began to zoom down the road. Heard a couple stories about burning tires and more bricks. Also heard a couple different theories of why and who...but nothing definite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would definitely be a little unnerving. Take care!

      Delete