Sunday, July 15, 2012

Worldwide BOC

On Saturday, I attended a Nepali church. It was a wonderful day of fellowship! I was able to follow the words of the songs...I just could not fit them into the melody (I will have to learn some new tunes).  The sermon happened to be in English this week, as they had a guest speaker from America, so I was able to understand most of the sermon!

View from Nepali Church in town.
Rain is coming!
As we were going into the church, someone asked my friend, who had invited me to the service, who the translator was going to be.  She replied, " I have no idea." Another lady standing nearby said, 'Probably you then." Sure enough, just as the service was starting, a church elder walked up to my friend and said, "Thanks for translating."  I told her later that her Nepali translation was pretty good.
Village Church


After the service, we jumped in the van, stopped to get a bite to eat at the supermarket, and headed south out of town. There was a ladies' fellowship group meeting in another church and we were attending. This church was a small village church and we walked a bit of a ways into the village from the road. We were also a bit late (I was taking photos and dodging raindrops along the way), but the 15 or so ladies there were very welcoming.  I actually felt like I was back in the PNG (fortunately, I was able to find a wall to lean against). They too had a guest speaker, a LP who talked about malnutrition. I think it was good for the ladies in the group to hear. They all nodded and looked at each other, when the LP talked about goiters and the causes. After the program was over, they served us chiyaa and cookies. I took a cookie, then gave it to the young girl sitting next to me. I had my camera (Surprise and shock) and taught her how to use it. That way she could take photos instead of me. I tried out my Nepali on her, ( I figured I speak at about a 2 year old level, so she would feel superior and therefore more comfortable talking to me) but is backfired. I would ask something in Nepali and she would answer in English. At one point, I had a photo of some drying garlic and I asked her, 'Yo ke ho?"  She replied, "Bats." So I made the photo bigger and asked again. I got the same reply. After the third time, I turned to my friend and asked, " What is the word for 'garlic'?" She said it and the little girl blushed deeply. Her mother and aunt laughed. We were so involved in the conversation and photos that finally her aunt and my friend, both came over and told us to get up... it was time to leave.
Women's Fellowship group
A cup of chiyaa
A new photographer is born!




What a wonderful day it was! I am always amazed at the family of God around the world and the fellowship it provided. May I also continue to do my part in this heavenly family and share His love and light with others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment