In LOP today the question came up: Which is more expensive to own - a car or a cow? ( I will not mention which one of the students in the class posed this question, but remember there are only two of us in the class). The guru got up to write it on the board in Nepali script. "Cow" was a new word for us. So as she wrote it, she also pronounced it,"guy". I chuckled and my classmate just shook his head, he knew what was coming. I asked her to repeat it, which she did. We repeated it a couple times.
Then I just had to ask, "But I thought a cow was a girl?"
"True, it is." she replied.
"So why are you calling it a guy?" ,
"Because that is what it is called in Nepali."
" A cow is a 'guy'?"
" Yes."
and then it dawned on her what was being said. And she laughed, "That is a bit awkward , thik chha?"
BTW for those who needed to know the answer to the question, we discussed it and concluded that a car is more expensive, but a cow is more valuable.
Then I just had to ask, "But I thought a cow was a girl?"
| Walked out of the school gate this afternoon and meet two guys... I mean cows. |
"So why are you calling it a guy?" ,
"Because that is what it is called in Nepali."
" A cow is a 'guy'?"
" Yes."
and then it dawned on her what was being said. And she laughed, "That is a bit awkward , thik chha?"
BTW for those who needed to know the answer to the question, we discussed it and concluded that a car is more expensive, but a cow is more valuable.
No comments:
Post a Comment