Monday, July 2, 2012

Up on the Rooftop!






The sun was actually shining today, so I decided to head up to the roof top and see what I could see. Here are a couple shots:


A family doing their wash.

Most of the apartment buildings in the area have to pump water up to a container on the roof. So it is logical to do the washing on the roof and a bit more private. Well, unless you have nosy neighbors who are up on their roofs looking around.



This was the roof of the stairwell in the apartment building next to mine.  I love the fact that they used multi-colored stones and bricks to hold it down.  (The word in Nepali for multi-colored is one of my favorite - rangi changi). Plus the builders allowed for ventilation.


I took this photo just to show the mass of humanity that is piled up on top of each other. In my LOP class today, we were working on the subject of houses and how many floors they have. Not many are over nine stories, but they do pack the houses...and the people for that matter... in tightly! I think I am actually starting to tune out all the noise...the beeps of motorcycles, the bleating of sheep, the roar of the tiger and jet engines..the barking of a million and one dogs..the crashing of gates...and I could go on... I forgot how noisy a crowded city could be!






This is another city picture overlooking the 'hood'. In the center you can see a blue roof...this is actually the top of the school. There is a play area on the roof that is partially covered and painted blue. It makes a good landmark if you are planning to get to school by parkour!


The last couple photos are of the zoo. I was standing there listening to the tiger roar and watching for it through the trees when here he comes, wandering out from the greenery. He was pacing, so I figured it was getting close to feeding time.


As I was waiting for the tiger to make up his mind about showing himself, i happened to look over into another cage and there was a Indian rhino! He was quite a massive  animal and his plates of armor were impressive. All this wildlife, right in my back yard! I shouldn't tell people they are all in a zoo.



1 comment: