

Last night, we had the support staff over for dinner and a meeting. There were about 25 people in the living room and yet it did not feel crowded. They opted for "American" food and since the only fast food that we have here in town is KFC, that is what they got. Three buckets of chicken (which had a curry -flavored breading) and a barrel of fries, did not go a long way to feeding them all, but we also bought some tandoori chicken and soon everyone was happily munching away.
After everyone had eaten, the meeting started. It was mostly in Nepali, and the leader of the group, asked me if I was going to understand it all. I told him that when I hear the word "siddihyo" (finished), I would know he was done. They all laughed. At one point in his talk, he repeated the word twice and I asked, "Oh, are we finished now?" Everyone roared. The leader just shook his head, "No, not yet."

For most of the the meeting, I snapped pictures, while listening for the verb endings (the leader comes have the west and has a distinct accent, so at times it was hard to pick them out..fortunately verbs come last in a Nepali sentence, so I waited for the pause, and then said, 'Okay, that was a verb.").
I think everyone enjoyed themselves. I know I had a good time and was grateful for the extra Nepali lesson!
No comments:
Post a Comment